If you have a Spanish website, then the next stage is to market it, as regardless of how beautiful or well designed your website is, if it's not visible with Spanish search engines, then it's unlikely to be meeting its core objectives.
There are several ways to attract people to your site in Spain, including:
- Search Engine Optimization (creating the structure and content of your website so as to send a clear message to search engines as to what your website is about). Including keywords the right number of times in the right places on your site tells search engines what a site is about and will move your website up higher for these keywords (See a guide on what is Search Engine Optimization).
- Building Spanish links to your website. By having high quality links to your website, you will receive visitors from these links (whether they're in articles, directories or other related websites). A good link can generate large numbers of visitors every day and will also help boost your position with search engines, so that you appear higher in the results. This is because Google.es and other Spanish search engines count links as a 'vote of confidence'. The most links you have, the more popular your website is deemed to be and the higher you will appear in the search results.
- On-line advertising, such as Pay Per Click campaigns, banner adverts, etc.
- Off-line advertising - including your web address wherever you promote your business - on your business card, posters, leaflets, by word of mouth, etc.
This article will focus on the first two methods of promoting a Spanish website.
Choosing what to optimize a website for
Before starting the Spanish SEO process, it's important to focus on the right keywords. Google has a Spanish keyword suggestion tool that lets you see how many times popular search terms have been used over the last few months. If you have a Spanish holiday site, for example, you can tell if you're best off focusing on 'holiday', 'chalet', 'rentals' or a combination of keywords.
For new websites, unless you have a significant budget or time to spend on this, it's normally best to focus on longer keywords (phrases with 3-5 words in them, that include the more competitive keywords within them). Appearing 1st with Google is just like running a race and the more competitive the phrase you want to appear high for, the more runners there are in the race. For a new site, if you choose a long phrase with fewer competitors, you're therefore more likely to appear 1st.
Optimizing the meta tags
Include keywords once or twice in the title, don't worry too much about the keywords meta tag and write a meaningful meta description that will encourage users to click the link to your website when they read this description in the search results.
Optimizing other aspects of the site
Google looks at far more than just the meta tags of any website, so when you're promoting your Spanish holiday site, include the keywords a few times in:
- Visible titles on the page (use H1 codes for the main title and H2-H6 for sub-titles).
- Links between different pages of a website.
- The main body of text.
- Words in bold.
- Footers or other page elements that will appear on every page of the website.
Spanish link building
There are various ways to build links to a Spanish website that are ethical and beneficial. We recommend following 'white hat SEO' methods, i.e. methods that a standard business would use to promote themselves, as Google is getting more and more on the button with regards to spam websites and building links from low quality sites with 100s of links on them will actually get you penalized, rather than rewarded.
Some legitimate Spain website promotion methods include:
- Submitting your site to high quality Spanish directories.
- Writing articles and submitting these to Spanish article websites, with relevant links going to your own website in them.
- Asking other webmasters with relevant sites to link to your site.
- Offering free services on your website, or other high quality content that other people will naturally link to.
- Hiring a Spanish SEO Company, such as www.spainseo.com to do your Spanish website promotion for you.
By having a website with high-quality, unique content that has good Spanish search engine optimization and relevant Spanish links going to it, you will see that your website appears high in the search results, even for quite competitive search terms.